Latest updates: prime minister admits Keir Starmer not personally responsible for Savile decision three days after he implied otherwise
- UK households face record 54% energy bill rise as price cap is raised
- Energy bills: Rishi Sunak gives one-off £200 discount to households
- Cost of living crunch: UK energy price cap hiked by 54% – business live
- PM’s disregard for rules is damaging democracy, says Keir Starmer
- Coronavirus global updates – live
Keir Starmer claimed this morning that the conduct of Boris Johnson was contributing to a decline in trust in politcians. In a speech on trust, he said:
Trust in government is falling, trust in politics and politicians is falling, trust in the media is falling.
Two-thirds of the public think that the way politicians act undermines democracy. Six out of 10 people think politicians are likely to lie to them – six out of 10 – sadly that doesn’t surprise me, given recent events, but it does disappoint me, it frustrates me.