It wasn’t the clean sweep of eight years ago, but a pair of Americans topped the men’s freeski slopestyle podium on Wednesday after Alex Hall soared to Olympic gold ahead of teammate Nick Goepper, who took the silver.
The International Olympic Committee has dismissed claims that a double standard was applied to US sprinter Sha’Carri Richardson compared to Russian skater Kamila Valieva after both tested positive for a banned drug.
Hello again and welcome to day 12 of the Beijing Games. Some stuff has already happened. The US have claimed a one-two in the men’s freeski slopestyle thanks to Alex Hall and Nick Goepper. The men’s slalom competitors have completed their first run and will be vying for medals in not too long, and the curling keeps on coming.
But there is more on the itinerary. Herewith:
Times are all in local Beijing time. For Sydney it is +3 hours, for London it is -8 hours, for New York it is -13 hours and San Francisco is -16 hours.
- 2.05pm and 8.05pm curling – more round-robin matches in a stage of the competition that appears to last forever but – especially in the women’s contest – has a lot at stake in each match 🥌
- 7pm-8pm freestyle skiing – men’s aerials final 🥇
- 1.45pm alpine skiing – second run of the men’s slalom 🥇
- 2pm and 4.40pm and 9.30pm men’s ice hockey – the four quarter-final matches. The US are up first 🏒
- 7.30pm women’s ice hockey – the bronze medal face-off between Switzerland and Finland 🥉
- 3.45pm biathlon – the women’s 4 x 6km relay 🥇
- 5pm-7.30pm cross-country skiing – the women’s team sprint and men’s team sprint have their semi-finals and finals 🥇
- 7.30pm-9.18pm short track speed skating – this session includes the women’s 1,500m contest and the men’s 5,000m relay 🥇